If you are not already aware Citrix metaframe allows a users to run applications remotely. A server can reside in one place and users can access applications on that Citrix server from anywhere on the network using an easily downloadable Citrix client or a java client that is packaged with the Citrix Metaframe server. This is definitely an advantage for most organizations as it simplifies versioning of applications as well as troubleshooting of apps as the only problem is usually on the server side not the client side.
Last year when i was trying to learn more about Citrix Metaframe servers I ran into lots of info that I compiled into a list for how to optimize metaframe servers. Here is a document with 163 metaframe server optimization fixes for you. Hope this helps in troubleshooting and making sure that your Citrix Metaframe network is as good as it can be.
Here is the list of what is included in the Word Document attached to this post
1. Increase Secondary RAM Cache
2. How do I clear the page file at shutdown?
3. Increase network performance
4. Reduce network delay
5. Error 1008: Failed to Load/Unload the User Profile
6. Terminal Server Commands:FLATTEMP
7. System Is Running Low on Registry
8. How to Enable the Quick Reboot Feature for Windows NT 4SP4
9. Run bit apps in a Separate VDM
10. Improve TCP performance
11. Changing ICA port number
12. Compaq SSD and Insite Manager
13. Server Service Configuration and Tuning
14. Terminal Server logon script
15. NT Memory Management Tips and Tricks
16. RDISK reports The Emergency Repair Disk Is Full
17. Crash control registry entries
18. High Rate of Collisions on 100-MB Networks
19. More on the 2048 open file limit per connection
20. NT Server is limited to 2048 open files per connection
21. Event while starting the Netlogon service
22. Backdoor to RUN Command in Microsoft Office Applications
23. Beware of the Trojan horse
24. Logon Welcome/Legal Notice
25. How to Change Terminal Server’s Listening Port
26. Non-autodeletion of client printers
27. Autocreate of client printers inconsistent
28. increasing connect timeout for WINclient
29. Autocreate Printers Don’t Always Autocreate
30. Don’t display Last user in logon dialogue
31. Scheduling a Windows NT backup
32. Error: There is no print processors!
33. Sneaky hidden drive mapping for everyone
34. Freeware Command Line / Batch Registry & Environment editor
35. Manage your own Tips
36. Freeware NT_HAIL – Send WinPopUp messages in Windows NT
37. CMDexe supports command line cut and paste
38. Access denied while installing applications?
39. Control the order of apps in your Startup folder
40. Do it Yourself Shutdown
41. Ghosted connections
42. Power Down when you Shut Down
43. If serial mouse fails to detect at startup
44. A picture is worth a thousand words
45. Can not use a roaming profile
46. Is your RAS connection using LMHOSTS slow?
47. Why does it take Explorer longer than File Manager to view a file over the network?
48. How do I install SBS if the disk controller is not auto detected?
49. Running REGEDIT in batch
50. Activate Screen Saver when no-one logs on
51. Displaying Your Company Logo (or other bitmap) during logon
52. Service Pack # reported after uninstall
53. Save space while dual booting
54. Change the green logon background color
55. Activating a screensaver from an icon
56. Server Service tuning
57. How do I convert to NTFS during an unattended install?
58. Finding Keys, Values, and Data in the WinNT registry
59. Run a Control Panel object without opening the Control Panel
60. Changing the default WinNT install path IRPstackSize error
61. Build a NTFS or FAT boot floppy
62. Scheduling a Windows NT backup
63. Printer PopUp and Event Logging
64. Changing the default spool directory
65. Configuring a RAM Drive
66. Parse/Don’t Parse autoexec.bat
67. Button Mouse
68. Don’t display Last user in logon dialogue
69. NTFS – Disable Name creation
70. Deleting device drivers and services
71. Managing the Mapped Network Drive dropdown list
72. Ghosted connections
73. Adding applications to your Send To folder
74. Is your Taskbar getting a little crowded?
75. How to alter the time it takes Windows NT to shutdown
76. Finding that memory leak using Windows NT 4
77. Limit the number of users that can be simultaneously logged on to your server
78. Do desktops load before the logon script finishes?
79. Increase network performance
80. Is License Manager screwed up?
81. Set the system clock over the internet
82. Alter when Windows NT displays the Password expiration warning
83. Alter when you receive a HD full warning
84. Internet Explorer security
85. How to adjust your IntelliMouse scroll
86. Error – “User doesn’t have enough rights to do this”
87. Does the \System directory open when you logon?
88. Is your network plagued with Browser elections?
89. How do I rename a Domain Controller?
90. Problems with bit apps in Windows NT?
91. No Disk in drive?
92. “Not enough server storage is available to process this command”
93. Printer “timing” hacks
94. Server based virus detection software can cause problems
95. How can I prevent users from accessing Control Panel / System?
96. What is error ####?
97. Flaky logon problems?
98. Take charge of your desktop
99. Access denied while installing applications?
100. Control the order of apps in your Startup folder
101. Can’t delete LPT and other reserved names?
102. Error: There is no print processors!
103. Freeware Command Line / Batch Registry & Environment editor
104. Manage your own Tips
105. Freeware NT_HAIL – Send WinPopUp messages in Windows NT
106. BM_DISK is a freeware disk benchmark utility
107. Want your own icon for Network Neighborhood, My Computer and the Recycle Bin?
108. Have you messed up the permissions on SYSTEM files?
109. Do your shortcuts attempt to resolve to another computer?
110. Command line cut & paste
111. Compacting your WINS and/or DHCP database
112. How do I convert to NTFS during an unattended install?
113. Allow your WinNT and Wclients to install applications from a server share
114. Do you have font clutter?
115. Manage processor affinity
116. No configuration information for PC-CARD
117. How do I install with an unsupported PC-CARD?
118. How do I set the IRQ of my PC-CARD?
119. Service Pack # reported after uninstall
120. Save space while dual booting
121. How many bytes is %SystemRoot% consuming?
122. Do your DOS programs run slowly?
123. Explorer maps network drives by itself
124. Lost MPS support after applying a Service Pack?
How can I preserve my DHCP server settings if I have to uninstall and reinstall DHCP?
125. How do I install DOS after WinNT?
126. How can I import a DUN (Rasphone) phonebook?
127. How can I determine what registry changes a new application installed?
128. Disable Network Redirector File Caching
129. What is happening with those dots on the blue screen during boot?
130. What is the relationship between the Recycle Bin and the Recycler folder?
131. If your communication device is not supported by Unimodem but it is/was Supported by Modeminf
132. Do not broadcast printers available on a server
133. Do your client’s print jobs remain in the queue after printing?
134. Free tools available in ZAK
135. How can I force a DOS application to Print-Screen directly to a printer?
136. Service or driver failed to start and Event Viewer has taken a vacation
137. Can I disable the Microsoft welcome splash screen that new users receive when logging onto Windows NT?
138. Crash control registry entries
139. How do I change the system font?
140. Registry hives in the registry
141. How can I configure the Event Viewer using the registry?
142. Command line NTFS compression
143. If your serial mouse fails to detect at startup
144. A picture is worth a thousand words
145. How do I install SBS if the disk controller is not auto detected?
146. Why does it take Explorer longer than File Manager to view a file over the network?
147. Can not use a roaming profile
148. Is your RAS connection using LMHOSTS slow?
149. Suppress the “A domain controller for your domain could not be contacted” message
150. How to disable that leaky, resource stealing FindFast
151. How do I get IIS to play MIDI to Netscape Navigator?
152. How do I track account lockout/bad password logon attempts?
153. Undocumented IF ELSE
154. Autochk countdown timer
155. Bug: Path with quote marks
156. If you receive: Access Denied for Terminal Server user in %SystemRoot%\Temp\?SessionId? folder.
157. Installing IE 4.x with Active Desktop on a Terminal Server.
158. FPNW causes Terminal Server PDC to be dog slow.
159. Terminal Server with SP4 ignores Profile and Home Directory settings.
160. 256 megabyte minimum Pagefile on BO Server.
161. Windows NT requires (recommends) a minimum pagefile of RAM + 12.
162. How can I force Terminal Server to terminate a disconnected client session?
163. Terminal Server user receives INF install failure?